When i saw these tiny spools i always knew i wanted to do a mini Christmas Tree. The season is upon us and i finally got a chance to put my ideas into creation. We are celebrating Christmas in Doha with Andy. Our decorations will be limited but i am bringing some small things to decorate his apartment like this tree. This cute little tree measuring 5 inches tall could be a simple decor to place around the house or use it as a place setting for Christmas dinner. I am going to give you step by step directions to create this adorable spool Christmas tree.
Maya Road Supplies:
- 25 Skinny wooden SpoolsWood
- 1 Wood Mini Spool
- 1 vintage Wooden Spool
- 1 Crystal Star Trinket Pin
- approx. 12 inches of cream ruffled edge trim
Other: Book pages, Vintage Sheet Music, Baker's twine, Glitter Glue, Manilla Folder, Circle Punches, liquid glue, cream cardstock printed title.
1. Punch 5 Circles, one each of the following sizes. .5", .75", 1", 1.25", 1.5" from the manilla folder. I used this because it provided a stiff circle to hold the spools together and worked well to hold the trinket pin in place.
2. cut 26 .5 inch x 1.25 inches strips from book pages and one .75 inch x 2 inches strip from the music paper
3. Wrap all the mini wooden spools with your text paper. *note i used a mini spool to top my tree to give it a bit more weight. You could use a skinny spool too. Wrap the Vintage wood spool with music paper.
4. starting with the 1.25 punched manilla folder circle, glue 11 skinny mini spools to the outside edge using a strong liquid glue. Glue 1 inch manilla folder circle to the top of the skinny spools.
5. add next layer of 8 skinny wooden spools to the 1 inch circle. Glue the .75 inch manilla circle on top the spools and add last layer of 6 skinny mini spools.
6. Glue .5 inch circle to the top of the spools & add the single mini wooden spool. Glue the entire piece to the vintage wooden spool.
7. Add glitter glue to all the edges of the spools to give it a little sparkle.
8. Take the 1.5 inch punched circle and working from the outside in, glue the small ruffle trim in layers to create the tree skirt. Three layers is all you need, leaving a small circle for the wooden spool.
9. Glue the wooden spool to the tree skirt. Wrap baker's twine around the vintage spool and tie it in a bow.
10. Print out your holiday sentiment on cream cardstock. Trim to a banner piece leaving a little excess off the left side of the printed title. Add glitter glue to the banner & let dry.
11. Wrap the banner piece around the stick pin and glue the excess to the printed title. Add stick pin to the top of the tree.
Peace & Love